- Oven door glass has shattered in to small pieces
- Built-in ovens
- Freestanding cookers
We know that if tempered glass shatters, the noise and broken glass can be quite alarming.
In this document, we will explain why this may happen and we have will guide you on what to do next.
Door glass shattering is not very common, all tempered glass manufactured for appliances or other purposes can shatter if subjected to certain conditions.
Tempered glass is designed to break in to small fragments therefore it will not leave sharp points and long shards of dangerous glass. However we still recommend precautions are taken when clearing broken glass.
Broken tempered glass. Glass may fall from the door
Clear the broken glass:
- Ensure the area is clear from pets and children
- Ensure you are wearing shoes when inspecting the appliance
- Before sweeping the glass ensure the appliance is cold
- You are wearing protective gloves
- You are using a dust pan and brush or another tool suitable for clearing glass segments.
- Do not attempt to vacuum broken glass.
Replacing the glass
- If an inner pane of glass has been damaged, perhaps during cleaning, a replacement can be purchased in our Webshop
- If the outer door has shattered or you would like a visit from a Service Technician, call us to arrange a repair
How to avoid broken glass:
- Do not place dishes on the oven door, doors are not designed to be load bearing, this may cause damage to hinges or the glass
- Avoid exposure to extreme changes in temperature, such as a hot casserole dish against the oven door, this can cause damage that will weaken the strength of the door
- Avoid applying a cold cleaning solution or wet cloth if the oven is still hot, again the change in temperature could damage the glass
- Avoid knocks to the door especially the sides of the pains when removing to clean
- Avoid the door slamming closed
- Ensure the appliance housing is level and square
A defect from manufacturing would generally occur early in use, please contact our team if you would like to arrange an inspection from a Service Technician.
If glass has broken due to impact, you can visit our Webshop to purchase replacement glass.
Was this article helpful?