Washing machine door does not open immediately after cycle has finished.
All front loading washing machines
Integrated washing machines
The washing machine will automatically lock the door when a programme is started to stop water leaking out and to prevent injury while the machines drum is in motion.
1. Too short a time since the end of the program.
- The door can be opened about 5 minutes after the end of the washing cycle (after the bi-metal in the door lock has cooled down). This is normal.
2. Check to see if the door lock icon is active.
- If there is a problem with opening the door and the display is off, turn on the washing machine and make sure the door lock icon is not active, some machines require the display to be on to unlock the door.
3. Check to see if the child lock is active
4. Check if there is water in the drum.
The door will not be able to be opened if water still remains in the drum. You will either need to pump out the water or drain the appliance. Click here to see how to do this
5. Switch off the mains plug socket and then switch it on again after about 20-30 seconds. Then test whether the machine is working normally, this should also reset the door lock icon. If this hasn't worked then we recommend an engineer visit.
6. Manually opening the washing machine door – This doesn't apply to every machine
- On some machines, the door can be opened in an emergency by pulling down on a bar using a screwdriver or similar object. If the machine has an emergency release, it is located next to the fluff filter.
7. Determine whether any of the handle’s parts show any visible signs of damage.
If they are damaged or if the door is still jammed or lock symbol still on, we recommend requesting a visit by a service engineer.
If you found the following information helpful, please give us a thumbs up below. If this information did not resolve your question, all constructive feedback is welcome.