Bolognese & Cottage Pie Recipe
2 tbsp sunflower oil
3 large onions, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 kg minced beef
3 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp plain flour
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
350 ml beef stock
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
Pinch of sugar
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and carrots and fry over the heat until softened.
2. Add the beef and brown.
3. Add the garlic and tomato puree.
4. Stir in the flour.
5. Add the tomatoes, stock, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, thyme and sugar and season to taste.
6. Bring up to the boil. Cover and simmer for 1 hour until tender and reduced.
7. Spoon half of the mince into an ovenproof dish.
FOR THE COTTAGE PIE
1. Cook 700g of white potatoes in boiling water, Drain and mash with butter and 2 tbsp of milk.
2. Pipe on top of the mince.
3. Bake in a 200C Fan oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
FOR THE BOLOGNESE
Cook 350g of spaghetti in boiling water, drain and serve with the sauce