Sausage Roll Christmas Crackers
- 100g sausage meat
- ½ apple, peeled and finely diced
- 25g squash, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp sage, chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 320g packet ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Mix the sausage meat, apple, squash, sage and spring onions together in a bowl and season.
2. Unroll the pastry and trim to measure a 20cm x 35cm rectangle. Re-roll the
trimmings and cut out stars using a small star cutter. Brush the pastry with beaten egg. Slice the rectangle into four strips widthways.
3. Divide the sausage meat into four and spread in a line about 6cm long onto the middle of one side of the strips of pastry. Fold the pastry over and then gently roll into a cylinder to encase the filling. Pinch the pastry around the filling to make a cracker shape.
4. Brush with more beaten egg and decorate with stars of pastry. Repeat three more times.
5. Place on a baking sheet lined with non-stick paper. Chill for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 200C Fan.
7. Bake for 25 minutes until golden and crisp and the filling is cooked through.
8. Decorate the ends of your crackers with ribbon once they have cooled down a little.