Vegatable Puff Pastry Christmas Cracker
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek
- 150g butternut squash, diced
- 250g brown mushrooms, diced
- 200g spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- 50g cheddar
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 375g packet ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Pre heat the oven to 200 Fan.
2. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the leek and squash and fry for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and fry over a high heat until the liquid has come out of the mushrooms. Add the garlic and spinach and continue to cook until the spinach has wilted, and any liquid has evaporated. Spoon into a bowl and leave to cool.
4. Add the cheese and pesto to the bowl and season.
5. Unroll the pastry. Roll out so the pastry is slightly bigger. Divide the sheet into 6 rectangles.
6. Spoon 1/6 of the mixture into the centre of one piece of pastry, leaving a 3cm gap at each end. Brush the beaten egg around the filling. Roll up tightly and turn upside down, so the seal is underneath. Repeat with the remaining sheets and filling.
7. Pinch the pastry together either side of the filling to make a cracker shape. Press down and trim off the ends to make a neat edge. Knead any trimmings together and roil out again. Stamp out starts using a star cutter.
8. Brush with beaten egg and stick a star on top and glaze with egg wash.
9. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.