Crispy Lamb Lettuce Tacos
Olive oil, for frying
Toasted sesame oil, for frying
400g minced lamb
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1–2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
Zest of 1 lime, juice of ¹/³
3 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 little gem lettuces
Squeeze of lemon
Salt and pepper
1. Heat a large frying pan and add a little olive oil. Heat and add the minced lamb, fry and keep moving so the fat renders and the lamb becomes crispy.
2. Season with salt and pepper and mix well to ensure the seasoning is evenly distributed. Fry the mince in the hot pan for 5–7 minutes until crisp and brown and broken down to a fine consistency. Drain the crisped mince in a sieve – this will help it stay crispy. Set aside.
3. Wipe out the pan and add a tablespoon of toasted sesame oil. Add the garlic, ginger, and chilli. Fry with a pinch of salt and the light brown sugar for 2 minutes. Add the drained mince and stir to mix.
4. Add the soy sauce and honey and heat through. Stir in the lime zest and juice, then add the spring onions, stirring for 30 seconds. Check the seasoning and then turn off the heat.
5. To make the dressing, mix all of the ingredients together to taste.
6. To serve, spoon some of the mince mixture into the lettuce leaves, drizzle with a little dressing.
7. Why not also top with avocado, fresh tomatoes, chopped onion, cheese or whatever you fancy!