1.5-2kg pork shoulder joint
Olive oil, for rubbing
Salt flakes & freshly ground black pepper
50g English mustard
250g cooking pears
250g cooking apples
3 tbsp. brown sugar
- Dab with a paper towel to make sure the rind is dry.
- Check the skin is evenly scored to help the crackling. Rub the oil, salt & pepper into the skin.
- Using the Thermal Grilling setting, set oven to 180°C or if using the food probe, set to 74° Calculate the cooking time – 30 minutes per 500g, plus an extra 30 minutes. Roast for the calculated time, or until the food probe tells you the meat is cooked to the correct core temperature.
- Peel, core and cut the apples and pears into quarters, place in a pan with 30ml of water, cover and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes, until the apples are soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and blitz the cooked down apples and pears with a hand blender. Mix in the butter and sugar and return to the pan. Gently stir until it thickens and then transfer to your serving bowl.
- Once cooked, take the pork out of the oven. Remove the crackling from the joint and place on a board and chop into pieces. Paint the pork with mustard and leave the meat to rest for 30 minutes before carving.