Upside Down Baked Beans On Toast
- 1 x 400g tin haricot beans
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 1 pinch each of salt and pepper, to season
- Left oven bread approx. half a French stick
- 3-4 handfuls of grated cheese
1. Heat a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over a low to medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
2. Pour in the chopped tomatoes, then add the sugar, black treacle, mustard and vinegar, and simmer for a few minutes on a medium heat before adding the beans. Season and turn down to a low heat.
3. Simmer for an hour on a low heat. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little water to loosen the mixture.
4.Season with salt and pepper. You could add a few drops of Tabasco if you like a bit of heat!
5. Pour into an oven proof dish. You could add some chopped herbs or spring onions if you’d like.
6. Top with torn stale baguettes / bread and grated cheeses – drizzle with melted butter and season.
7. Bake in oven for 10 mins at 180* until crunchy and golden